July 11, 2016
1. HHOP’s sleep 6½ to 9 hours a day.
2. Long ago HHOP’s made the decision to reduce or eliminate ALL forms of stress in their lives by learning and practicing T’ai Chi Chih (or any relaxation technique that really spoke to them) but didn’t stop there: they declared independence from long-held beliefs that limited their power, freedom, or full self-expression…they focused on relationships that deserved their attention and ended or limited exposure to those that didn’t.
3. HHOP’s aim to drink 100 ounces glasses of pure, filtered water every day (because for most people eight 8 oz glasses isn’t actually enough!!!)
4. HHOP’s NEVER SKIP BREAKFAST! They eat no more than an hour after rising in the morning and no more than 60 minutes before or after a workout. They eat MINDFULLY (or at least slowly), with loved ones whenever possible, and without distractions.
5. HHOP’s figured out their own PERSONAL best balance of high quality proteins, fats and complex carbs. They plan ahead by grabbing a healthy to-go snack when leaving the house (packed in a cute little cooler bag if necessary) in order to avoid becoming uncontrollably hungry…that way they’re much less likely to make poor nutritional decisions.
6. HHOP’s reduce or just avoid alcohol altogether…not only are many alcoholic beverages loaded with simple sugars, many others simply convert to sugar almost the minute they hit your bloodstream. Plus HHOP’s know that alcohol lowers their inhibitions and sets them up for returning to old behaviors far more easily than when they’re sober.
7. And speaking of simple sugars, HHOP’s know that most white foods (white potatoes, white rice, white pasta, etc) are only a baby step away from table sugar in terms of what they do to your blood sugar and metabolism so they avoid them like the plague! HHOP’s also “just say no!” to chemical additives, preservatives, transfats, sugar-loaded beverages, and fast foods (especially the supersized ones). Their bodies thank them, too!
8. HHOP’s eat only whole foods, in other words foods as close to their “original packaging” as possible (for example: raw veggies and fruits with the skin if it’s edible…HHOP’s also pay attention to the “Dirty Dozen” and the “Clean 15” in order to buy the healthiest locally grown produce.) HHOP’s also eat grass-fed, free-range, animal proteins (because cows and chickens don’t CHOOSE to eat hormones and antibiotics, right?) plus a wide variety of whole or minimally processed grains and legumes (unless they just prefer eating veggies instead!) HHOP’s also eat raw nuts and cold or expeller pressed oils and tons of wild-caught cold water seafood.
9. It may sound impossible, but HHOP’s EAT 9-13 SERVINGS OF VEGGIES AND FRUIT EVERY DAY because according to the USDA, the American Cancer Society, the American Heart Association, and the American Dietetics Association, that’s the current recommendation required to both attain and maintain optimum health, eliminating the need for synthetic fiber, vitamin, mineral, and enzyme supplements entirely! And SOME HHOP’s even eat MORE than 9-13 servings of veggies & fruit per day because there’s a growing body of evidence to suggest that THE MORE VEGGIES AND FRUITS YOU EAT, THE HEALTHIER YOU WILL BE WITHOUT LIMIT!
10. And finally, HHOP’s know that MUSCLE KNOWS NO AGE! Ever heard the phrase “use it or lose it?” Turns out it’s true…when muscles aren’t used, fibers that make up the muscles literally begin to disappear. The remaining muscle fibers, however, are exactly the same as the day you were born. Long ago, HHOP’s figured out that it’s never too late to get in the best shape of your life…they strength train for 20-60 minutes 2-3 times a week, they perform 20-60 minutes of aerobic activity 3 or more days a week, and they even make time to stretch for 5-15 minutes one day per week for every decade they’ve been alive.
DEEP DOWN, DON’T WE ALL WANT TO BE HHOP’S WHEN WE GROW UP?